I have two thoughts for today, 11/25/08. The first is I think I understand why Jesus picked fishermen. The second is I wonder if He ever got tired of people touching and following Him. But here are only my thoughts on the first.
Yesterday, I spent the better part of the day untangling a long piece of rope that clearly had not been untangled in years. Let’s just say that it took all morning. It brought back not so distant memories of sitting on a rocking boat picking knots out of a fishing line. All the time you are praying the opposite of what you had been, that nothing bites, at least for now. And as seasickness takes its toll, you can’t figure out if your frustration is helping get out the knots, or helping put them back in, but you know that it is nevertheless there. Oh, the fond memories of life.
It takes a certain amount of patience and determination to “mend nets.” The more it upsets you, the longer it takes to undo. It also isn’t pleasant to talk to a grumpy knot picker. I can remember numerous occasions when I snapped at even the most well meant remarks while try to untangle line. Such people I would not think would last long in the fishing industry, even in Jesus’ day.
But that is not all. Today, if you go fishing, you grab a pole, some bait, and Huckfin it on out with your pants nicely rolled up. You can go with a buddy, and you can bring some beers, but really to each their own. However back then it wasn’t a walk in the woods. As I watch fisher folk here tirelessly work their nets, I realize that it isn’t for fun, that it isn’t easy, and it isn’t something that you can do solo. To fish and to catch, you have to work together. Not only do many hands make light work, but if you are a fisherman yourself you know that when you catch, you catch big. Fishermen who tell good “got away stories” don’t have food on the table to tell it over. It’s all or none. If you catch big, you share with your fellows, just as they shared with you the days it got away.
So I think that’s why Jesus picked so many fisher people. Have you ever noticed that the closer you get to the Gulf in South Louisiana, the nicer people get? Brings back a memory of some old Cajun French lady who gave me a buck because, from what I could make of it, I reminded her of her son casting my cast net. Fishing people are just kind like that, you know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment